“This episode I’m sharing a recording of the last 90 minutes of a 2.5-hour opening set for Sasha & Digweed earlier this month at Avant Gardner in Great Hall. Of course, warming up for such legendary DJs is itself an honor, but this night was particularly special as it brought out so many friends who had not been out in a long time, adding to the pressure of crafting the right progression to fill the room and set up the rest of the night, in a way that equally respects both the headliner and partygoer. I hope you enjoy it!.” – Dory
For many of us, Dory is perhaps best known as part of the management at Avant Gardner and The Brooklyn Mirage, where she has been instrumental in building the team and is also emerging as a thought leader in internal technology systems development. But prior to working there, she had performed at the company’s Cityfox Experience events for many years, from the early days of the warehouse pop-up events leading up through the first few years of venue business.
Dory promoted her first events as a student at Northwestern University, where she hosted an indie rock radio show at WNUR. As the station’s Promotions Director, she was able to forge a partnership with Metro/Smart Bar that created the opportunity for her first DJ gigs. In the following years, she moved her home base between many cities – San Francisco, Miami, Los Angeles, Zurich and New York,
She joined Listed Productions in 2006 under the guidance of Founder Gunita Nagpaul; along with Naveen G, Atish, Mike Khoury, and Nikita as resident DJs, they contributed as curators of Listed’s events around the US and abroad, focusing on the party-goer’s experience. The brand hosted many memorable tiki boat events at WMC and also brought now-prominent artists for their first US label showcases in Miami, including Anja Schneider and Pan-Pot for Mobilee rooftop party in 2008 and Solomon, Stimming, and HOSH for the Diynamic vs Cityfox party in 2010.
Desyn Masiello hand-picked Dory to join the Faciendo collective in 2010, where she contributed to the tribe of DJs, including Rowan Blades, Tom Morgan, and Balerik, working together to inspire, educate and spread love through the airwaves. The group’s primary focus was a series of mixes, “crossing many genres of electronic music, but each with the same goal: to represent the true ‘art’ of a DJ mix, where all the pieces of the mix fit together in absolute harmony, and a truly new experience is created from the union of the tracks.”
Dory’s sets feature deep, intelligent melodies, intricate percussive elements, and compelling basslines that traverse from brooding to uplifting, all the while evoking inspiration and positive energy. She has brought her sounds to the BPM Festivals in Mexico and Portugal, Robot Heart at Burning Man and Further Future, San Francisco’s Loveparade and she continues to play numerous venues throughout North America and Europe.
01. Sebastian Sellares – After Glow – Meanwhile Horizons
02. Analog Jungs – Punila, Dio S Remix – 3rd Avenue
03. Victhor – Yuliya – Melody of the Soul
04. MUUI – Ale – Crossfrontier Audio
05. Clavis – Art of Duplicity – Isolate
06. Raphael Mader – Grace of Colors feat Fini, Sunset Beats Remix – Renaissance
07. Albuquerque, GRIFE – Vanilla Sky – The Soundgarden
08. Matthias Vogt – Seven Summits – Anjunadeep
09. Andre Lodemann – Leaving the Comfort Zone – Innervisions
10. Tornado Wallace – Bit 1 – ESP Institute
11. Alexi Delano, Pablo Sanchez, Basic Need – Up Some More – Culprit
12. Clavis – Anteac – Isolate
13. James Shinra – Arc – Feel My Bicep
14. Effenberg – Ravers Association – Playground Records
15. Theo Meier – Uno, Carlo Whale Remix – Poesie Musik
16. Priori, Dust-e-1, ANF – Mauna Kea – Pacific Rhythm
17. Tim Engelhardt, Maga, Sean Doron – Here to Stay – Scenarios