In the trend-driven universe of electronic dance music, Gregor Tresher is the rare artist who transcends such cycles. His secret? A relentless focus on melody and timbre, timeless musical elements that other producers often undervalue. Just as a painting or a photograph appears to move if one stares at it long enough, close listening to the stratified grooves and melodies in Tresher’s music reveals an organic universe of shifting sound.
“Melody always allows you to bring something new to the music,” opines the producer. “It is where you can create something real and different, whereas the beat… well, either a record grooves or it doesn’t.” Tresher’s approach to writing music eschews obvious eight-bar earworms that soon grow tiresome in favor of musical lines that repeat and intertwine in myriad patterns, unfolding to reveal their secrets as you listen. In addition, another almost imperceptible element of motion has been integrated into Gregor Tresher´s new music via the integration of vintage machines and their tendency to drift ever-so-slightly out of tune. “It adds this human touch to the music, even though it was made with machines.”
Gregor Tresher began his career as a DJ in Frankfurt in the early ’90s; today, he can be found plying that trade at venues around the world, from Berlin to Tokyo, from Sydney to Los Angeles. Following two critically-acclaimed albums credited to his Sniper Mode alias, Tresher broke through as a producer under his real name via his 2005 releases Still and Neon. His 2008 classic “A Thousand Nights” was the year’s best-selling Techno track on Beatport and introduced Gregor to a larger audience. Besides releasing music on high-profile labels like Drumcode, Ovum, Intacto, Moon Harbour and Cocoon, Gregor launched his own eclectic imprint ”Break New Soil“ in 2009 on which his studio albums The Life Wire (2009), Lights From The Inside (2011), Nightcolors (2013) and Quiet Distortion (2016) were released. His remix history includes artists like Depeche Mode, Moby, Sven Väth, Laurent Garnier and Extrawelt amongst many others.
01. Martin Landsky – Attitude (Morninglasses Remix) (Motek)
02. Franky Rizardo – Hypno (Saved)
03. Christian Burkhardt, Sascha Dive – Forward (Deeperfect)
04. Matthias Tanzmann – Let’s Roll (Moon Harbour)
05. Steffen Deux – Dragonfly (Degree)
06. Simina Grigoriu – Rocket Fuel (Form)
07. Nicole Moudaber – Seeing It Through (Jonas Kopp Through Looking Glass Mix) (Mood)
08. Nitzer Ebb – Join In The Chant (Slam Remix) (Soma)
09. Planetary Assault Systems – Kamani (Ostgut Ton)
10. Eskapist – Platform (Figure)
11. DEAS – Space Race (Second State)
12. Juan Sanchez – Narcissus (Cocoon)